30 December 2010

2011 (or Only Four More Years Until Back to the Future II)



When I was a kid, the year 2000 was some magical, mysterious year far, far away on the calendar. Now, here we are entering the second decade of the 21st century (and still no flying cars). Since I benchmark my life by stupid things from pop culture, it's worth noting that we are only FOUR (4!!!) years away from 2015, the year 'Back To The Future, Part II' was set in. Think about that movie for a minute, what do we have only four years to accomplish? What's already done?

Regardless, a new year is really just another day as the clock of our lives keeps ticking away. However, it is a time when we can benchmark our lives and turn over a new leaf. It's a time to stop doing some things or start doing others. For me, it's always been resolutions that I manage to keep for a month or so until I fall back into the same routines and habits.

However, that being understood, I really want to do a few things in 2011. These aren't resolutions so much as things "I'd like" to see happen (in no certain order).

- I'd like to read the whole Bible this year. CCJ's Associate Minister Mark Messmore read through the Bible in 2010 and blogged about it. I probably won't blog it, but I'd really like to do it this year. I've got my reading plan and everything.

- I'd like to write at least five more really good songs this year. That may mean that I have to write 20 songs to get 5 really good ones, but I'd like to try that.

- I'm not sure how to go about it, but I'd like for those (and previous) songs to get heard by more people than just the people around here. I don't have any illusions that I'm gonna be a rock star (I don't have the looks or the young age ;-), but I would like those songs to get out in some form or fashion, if not by me (us), then by somebody else. Is that selfish ambition? I don't think it is.

- I'd like for CCJ's second band (At One) to thrive this year and, hopefully, find a replacement leader for me in the group - in fact, I'm actively praying for that to happen at the moment. I'm loving working with those guys right now and getting the band rolling, but I can see that it's gonna wear me out being the leader of two bands with two practices and all that two bands entails. We're not Mars Hill, but I love what they do with the multiple bands model.

- I'd like for my wife not to have to struggle with anxiety and depression anymore. I'd also like to be more loving and patient and love my wife like Christ loved the church.

- I'd like for my kids to be healthy and happy and not be anyone but themselves.

- I'd like to take more vacation days this year and do a few church visits on Sundays.

- I'd like for giving to get better at CCJ. Not just so that we can finish this building, but also because people grow to understand what giving is all about.

- I'd like to attend an Braves game, a Pacers game and, maybe, a Titans game in person.

- I'd like to remind myself every day that, despite who I am (a sinner), God loved me so much that He sent His son to die for me on a cross so that I could be in right relationship with Him again. I'd like to be more amazed at God's rescue of me and be more repulsed by the depths of my depravity.

- I'd like CCJ to get to 1,000 people by Jan. 1, 2012.

- I'd like to expand my vinyl collection and get a really good sounding system just for my turntable.

- I'd like my feet to be willing to move wherever God wills.

2 comments:

becca said...

what a lovely post

Anonymous said...

May God look with favor upon you and your family and continue to bless you.