12 June 2010

An Open Letter To Miley Cyrus

Hello Miss Cyrus,

You don't know me from Adam nor do I expect you to. My 7-year-old daughter, Isabella, loves your show Hannah Montana (even though we don't get the Disney Channel, she sees it on one of the three Web sites we let her visit and on ABC on Saturday mornings as well as a few of the DVDs of the show available for rent at the local library). I'm sure you are a very talented girl (you are but 17, right?). The show is harmless, even if my daughter doesn't fully grasp boys and some of the show's early teenage themes, so we let her watch it every now and then.

That being said, I'm writing you this open letter to urge you to reconsider your current career trajectory. It was once said that those who don't remember history are doomed to repeat it. From an outsider's perspective, it seems you are taking the same path so many others before you have taken (I'm looking at you, Britney Spears). Child star wants to be free of her bubble-gum, child star, squeaky-clean image so she shows some midriff, wears booty shorts and go-go boots (and defend them as just being cute), etc.

Look, I know you want to continue your career as long as possible and you want to be taken seriously as an artist and that's fantastic. However, my job as a parent is not going to allow me to let my daughter watch any of your music videos (which I have not seen but have heard enough about to feel a bit like a dirty old man without even actually seeing them). The upcoming special you apparently have on ABC will not be watched in at least this household. That won't bother you, I know but I felt the need to write this because, if my daughter even saw the promo, she would be chomping at the bit to see it (and we would be the meanest parents in the world because she isn't watching it. ;-)

You, at one time, openly confessed to being a Christian. I can't judge you on that because I don't follow your interviews or keep up on your life. God knows your heart. Your fruit (at least publicly), however, is questionable. I understand that life in the harsh light of the feeding frenzy that is celebrity can't be easy and I'm sure I would publicly stumble as well. I'm just urging you to, please, reconsider the road you are on. The hyper-sexualization of little girls in this country is insane and you have legions of little girls as your fans. I know their parents are supposed to be their role models, but, unfortunately, you are the primary influence to millions of them.

You can be successful without selling yourself out.

Sincerely,

Isabella's dad

No comments: