12 February 2010

Five for Friday (Pandora Edition)

Fired up my Pandora Station "Album Rock" for this week's Five for Friday.

1.) "Go Let It Out" (Live) by Oasis. From the album "Familiar To Millions (Live)." Oasis had a string of about three albums where they wrote the most infectious hooks to some really, really good mid-tempo songs. Like almost everyone else, they kinda faded away from mainstream popularity. I still enjoy the occasional Oasis tune though.

2.) "Hey Jude (Love Version)" by The Beatles. This album is from the Cirque du Soleil Beatles show. If you aren't the kind of person who gets all bent out of shape about re-worked Beatles tunes, this is actually a pretty interesting album. I checked it out at our local library and gave it a whirl. Pretty cool stuff.

3.) "Fix You" by Coldplay. From the album "X & Y." I've always been a Coldplay-curious guy. Every now and then I'll hear something from them that I think is really good and I'll go to check out more and find it, I don't know, 'meh.' This one is one of those slow burners with a pretty cool part about three minutes in.

4.) "Island In The Sun" by Weezer. From the album "Weezer (The Green Album)." See my above description of Coldplay and apply here. It's a different kind of song from Coldplay but I feel the same way about both bands. This song is significantly less cool than the Coldplay one though.

5.) "Heart-Shaped Box" by Nirvana. From the album "In Utero." The first time I heard this song was on the video (which was completely blasphemous, IMO). I'll just go ahead and say this: Had Kurt Cobain not stuck a gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger, they would be nowhere near the iconic band they are regarded as today. They would've been regarded a bit higher than Alice in Chains or Soundgarden. It would've been interesting to see if they could've evolved into something like Pearl Jam evolved.

2 comments:

Chris B said...

1) "Place for My Head" by Linkin Park. From the album Hybrid Theory.
Old school Linkin Park (have they been around long enough to have their older stuff called "old school"?) Anywho, classic Linkin Park. Great mixture of post-grunge rock and rap lyrics.

2)"Forsaken" by Skillet. From the album Collide. This is the album where they really started to form their current sound of heavy electronic rock. A lot of the stuff on this album sounds the same and this song fits that, but it's a good loud rock song.

3)"Every Time You Turn Around" by Daughtry. From the album Leave This Town. Not listened to this album/song very much. It's a pop rock song. Not much else to say....

4)"Long Way Down" by Goo Goo Dolls. From the album A Boy Named Goo. Now THIS can be classified as "old school" Goo Goo Dolls. Back in their "are we grunge/punk or alternative/pop" phase. This falls in the alt/pop genre. I really like this song. Good driving rock song. Always thought someone should cover this song and bring it back into the mainstream.

5)"Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)" by Journey. From Journey:Greatest Hits. I really don't think I have to say much else except this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZu6FTZo1JA&feature=video_response
:) I'll admit it, I crank this song up on the radio/iPod and air drum/guitar/keyboard like my life depended on it

Laura said...

I love "Fix You"...know the part you're talking about...great song.

And, regarding your comment on my blog post about the Prince song. I would have never thought you would have been fascinated by that one. You rebel.

Ok, here's my five...
~ "Take it Easy" by The Eagles. A good friend of mine in middle/high school always used to quote a line from this one to me when I was super stressed...which was pretty much during my entire high school career --- I say career b/c it was like a job. I'm glad that I have a job now and am not a student anymore. Too much self imposed pressure to be perfect in those days. (stepping off of my soapbox now) His quote was..."Don't let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy." I always think of him when I hear that one and try to chill out.

~ cue the laughter now..."Cup of Life" by Ricky Martin. Yes, I have his CD somewhere around here...don't tell anyone though.

~ "The Hand that Holds the World" by Starfield.

~ "Last Stop" by Dave Matthews Band...a song with kind of a dark, Arabian feel to it, but it's a good one.

~ "To Be Forgiven" by George Michael from the "Older" album. I really like this one. It's kind of sweet and soft spoken.