29 January 2010

Five For Friday

1.) "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain" by Willie Nelson. From the album "Live From Austin, Tx." Willie definitely has his own style. He's written some great songs but, to this day, I can't listen to more than a handful of his songs in one sitting. I love hearing him play guitar behind the beat though.

2.) "Where Could I Go But To The Lord" by Elvis Presley. From the album "Elvis Ultimate Gospel." I love hearing Elvis sing gospel music (when he's being real and not just punching the clock - as he does on some songs). Unfortunately this has 1970s stamped all over it with the production. I think Elvis would've been a prime candidate for a Rick Rubin-Johnny Cash-type latter-day resurgence (had he not died on the toilet and all).

3.) "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd. From the album "Wish You Were Here." I love this song. Pink Floyd had a knack for epic sad songs. A great song of lament.

4.) "Living In Sin" by Bon Jovi. From the album "New Jersey." Most people who will admit to listening to Bon Jovi in the 80s are fans of "Slippery When Wet." I think "New Jersey" is the superior album from that era though. This is power ballad by the numbers. But. It. Works. Every. Time.

5.) "A Good Year For the Roses" by George Jones (with Alan Jackson). From the album "50 Years Of Hits." Mournful country music is awesome. You know it, I know, the American people know it. Just go with it.

Wow, there were some sad songs this week. How about you?

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Good list this week man! And by the way, honestly, "Living in Sin" is probably my favorite song of theirs.