12 September 2009

Part Of Growing Up

... is realizing your childhood heroes were (and are) jerks.

Adrian Wojnarowski, of Yahoo! Sports, nails it with this piece on Michael Jordan's Hall of Fame induction speech.

“M.J. was introduced as the greatest player ever and he’s still standing there trying to settle scores,” one Hall of Famer said privately later.

I watched about half of his speech on YouTube before I just couldn't take anymore. As a kid, I loved Jordan more than any professional athlete. Unfortunately, as I grew older and learned of his gambling habit, his frequent cheating on his wife and his generally large ego, I started to understand that putting your "faith" in a guy who plays basketball better than it's ever been played is a recipe for a letdown.

The only sports hero I've ever had who (as far as I know) hasn't turned out to be a huge jerk is Dale Murphy. Almost all of the rest are egomaniacs, womanizers, steroid users, drunks or something just as bad as the previous. In other words, they are all human and a large example of why you should never put your ultimate hope in any man (just the God-man, Jesus).

No comments: