29 August 2009

Five for Friday

1.) "If You're Gonna Play in Texas (You Gotta Have a Fiddle in the Band)" by Alabama. From the album "Alabama: Greatest Hits, Vol. 3." This always brings back memories of riding around in the truck with my dad as we ran errands and did whatnot around Paris, TN. Good memories.

2.) "Whiskey River" by Willie Nelson. From the album "Honeysuckle Rose." Willie's got his own style, that's for sure. I dig this one.

3.) "Preaching Blues (Up Jumped the Devil)" by Robert Johnson. From the album "The Complete Recordings." Any song that starts out with "Mmmmm mmmmm I's up this mornin'/ah, blues walkin' like a man" will get my attention every time. I've said it before, if I have a terminal disease, put on Robert Johnson and let me go (with the proper sedatives, of course) :-)

4.) "Blitzkrieg Bop" by Rob Zombie. From the album "We're A Happy Family - A Tribute To Ramones." A typical Rob Zombie song that happens to be a Ramones cover. I saw Zombie once and ... well, it was an experience. This song actually isn't too bad.

5.) "Going Where the Lonely Go" by Merle Haggard. From the album "40 #1 Hits." I often think of Haggard as an ornery outlaw-type but he also did lots of songs like this that had string sections and sound like Nashville sounded in the 60s and 70s.

No comments: