07 August 2009

Five For Friday

In case you don't know, it works like this:
(Idea stolen from Ick Music)
I hit the shuffle button on my iTunes and share my five with a bit of insight for each track. Then it’s your turn! Just share the first five random track of your shuffle in the comments and see what your fellow readers are listening to as well.


1.) "Chinese Democracy" by Guns N' Roses. From the album "Chinese Democracy." The opening riff always reminds me of "Rock You Like A Hurricane." It's very, um, sharp sounding. Heavily processed. No better way for Axl to separate this incarnation of GNR from the classic lineup. It sounds like he wrote this and began recording it in, maybe the late 90s when processing was huge in rock music. I still say, though that the album, as a whole, is very good and worthy of listening.


2.) "Corduroy" by Pearl Jam. From the album "2000/05/30 Wembley Arena - London, England (Disc 1)." A great Pearl Jam song. No idea what it is about but I love it. Very cool groove at the end of the song. This is from the first set of "official bootlegs" the band put out during their "Binaural" tour (I saw them in Nashville on that tour). No band is cooler to their fans than Pearl Jam. I defy you to show me one.


3.) "Me and the Devil Blues" by Robert Johnson. From the box set "The Complete Recordings." "I said hello Satan/I believe it's time to go." This guy launched a thousand myths. Did he sell his soul to the devil to play the guitar like no other? The song really appears to be about a woman, like most of his songs. I've always said that if I'm dying of something, I want to listen to acoustic delta blues like this until I go.


4.) "King's Highway" by Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band. From the album "Trouble Is." I was in awe of this guy for a few years during college. It's still enjoyable but I think I've grown a bit musically. That's not a reflection on KWS, just on me. I still wish I could play like this guy though.


5.) "1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be)" by The Jimi Hendrix Experience. From the album "Electric Ladyland." Drugs had NOTHING to do with this one, I'm sure. Hendrix died stupidly, but was pure awesomeness.

No comments: