10 July 2009

Five for Friday



1.) "It Was Jesus" by Johnny Cash. From the album "God" from the box set "Love, God, Murder." I put this one on the pre- and post-service playlist on the church iPod many months back and it has grown to the point that I think the majority of the congregation knows it (whether they know it or not). Classic Cash from back in the day. "Who was it everybody?"

2.) "It's My Life" by Bon Jovi. From the album "Crush." My friend Daniel Copeland described this song as 'The Backstreet Boys doing rock' back when it first came out in 1999 or 2000 (don't know why I remember that). It's a very catchy song but, honestly, if I never heard it again, I'd be kinda OK with that.

3.) "(Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection" by Nelson. From the album "After The Rain." I've admitted it here before that Nelson is the reason I discovered I wanted to play guitar (because, like it or not, they WERE very cool in 1990 or so). Strip away who's singing it and all the cliches that go along with the era and judge it purely on the song writing and it's a pretty solid song.

4.) "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" by Travis Tritt. From the album "The Very Best of Travis Tritt." This FfF isn't gaining me any cool points is it? The one-not guitar solo was awesome when I was about 15 because, hey, I could play it.

5.) "Please Forgive Me" by Bryan Adams. From the album "Anthology." Again, no cool points this week but I will admit that I love this song. When my wife and I and our friend saw him solo/acoutsic he did this as a country ballad and it was not too bad, really.

I guess this rounds out a FfF of solid pop/rock song writing that some will sneer at but ... there's always next week.

No comments: