26 June 2009

Five For Friday (RIP MJ)

If you are a music fan of any capacity, you understand the influence on pop culture and musical greatness of Michael Jackson. There's nothing I can say that hasn't been said or that wouldn't seem over the top or ... whatever. He was my generation's Elvis, pure and simple. Completely awesome and completely tragic all at once.

Music critic Rob Harvilla is quoted over at Idolator: “This is devastating in an unexpected and overwhelmingly surreal way. I’m also tremendously/overly conscious that at this exact moment thousands of writers/bloggers/pundits are simultaneously scrambling to wrap their heads around it and ‘cover’ it, to both publicly acknowledge this terrible fact for posterity and also add a bit of personal spin, What Michael Jackson Meant to Me. The next 24 hours media-wise are gonna be incredible. This is the (expletive) all-time black diamond of obits: How do you reconcile the unimpeachable genius of his artistic prime with the train-wreck horror of his public descent, especially given the fact that the former ended and the latter began at least two decades ago? Is there any doubt this tragedy will occasion Absolutely the Worst Jokes of All Time? Did you stop for 30 seconds and mull over exactly how to address this news on your Twitter?”

Exactly.

In the end Michael Jackson was just another man who had incredible talent only to (essentially) flush it down the toilet of self-absorption and self-worship. This is not uncommon for artists or, really for you and me if we're honest with ourselves. All I ever think about when I hear someone famous has died is 'It is appointed for man once to die and then comes the judgment.'

Not to be trite about it but Michael Jackson faced the same thing yesterday that all of us will one day face. The End. I pray he trusted Jesus before yesterday because Michael Jackson's fame no longer matters to him, I guarantee that.

Anyway, here's my Five for Friday with, naturally, only MJ songs (instead of a shuffle, I'll rank them by my favorites).

1.) "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" from the album "Thriller." I can't do anything but smile when I hear this song (especially the 'Ma Ma Se, Ma Ma Sa, Ma Ma Coo Sa, Ma Ma Se, Ma Ma Sa, Ma Ma Coo Sa')

2.) "Man in the Mirror" from the album "Bad." It's almost a cliche but it's so earnest and delivered with so much conviction that I still love it.

3.) "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" from the album "Off The Wall." Great dance song and similar for me to 'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' in producing a smile almost every time I hear it.

4.) "Billie Jean" from the album "Thriller." What a hook-y bass line and some fantastic, funky and clean guitar work. Outstanding melody with the right amount of tension and moodiness. Almost a perfect pop song.

5.) "Thriller" from the album "Thriller." this has to be included for the simple reason that me and the girls spent all of last Halloween giving out candy while this song was on a loop and spending our spare time dancing in the living room to it. It also brings back fun memories of childhood for me.

No comments: