13 March 2009

Five For Friday (03.13.2009)


In case you don't know, it works like this:
(Idea stolen from Ick Music)
I hit the shuffle button on my iTunes and share my five with a bit of insight for each track.
Then it’s your turn! Just share the first five random track of your shuffle in the comments and see what your fellow readers are listening to as well.


1.) Kevin Max: "Out of the Wild" (from Crashing Gates)
Lyrically, this one recalls the old Zager & Evans song "In The Year 2525" but I couldn't much tell you what it's about on a casual listen (like many Kevin Max songs). Of the three dc talk-ers, Kevin Max was always my favorite and, I think, most creative of the bunch. His counterparts are having big, successful solo careers (Toby Mac) or singing for the Newsboys after a stalled solo career (Tait). This latest EP from Kevin Max isn't as good as "The Imposter" (which is a FANTASTIC album) but it's still a very interesting piece of work.

2.) Jimi Hendrix: "Angel" (from First Rays of the New Rising Sun)
this album was one of the first put out after the Hendrix family regained control over Jimi's music in the 1990s. This is supposedly what Jimi's next album would've been had he not choked to death on his own vomit like an idiot in 1970. An amazing guitar player and artist despite the stupid death. That being said, I don't particularly care for "Angel" and don't think it's very representative of Hendrix's talent.

3.) The Black Crowes: "Bring On, Bring On" (from Three Snakes and One Charm)
I love The Black Crowes. I hate this album. Too many drugs, I suspect, but the album is meandering and jamm-y (and not in a good way). If you want a GREAT rock n' roll album, go get the Crowes' "The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion" instead.

4.) Bon Jovi: "Last Cigarette" (from Have A Nice Day)
I love this song, especially the little Beach Boys/Brian Wilson bridge. Not a "great" song, but it's a piece of very solid song-writing that I don't skip over if it comes up on shuffle. Feels like you should listen to this driving in the desert with the top down (though I've never done any of those things).

5.) P.O.D.: "Mistakes And Glories" (from Testify)
He may be saying "sweep the leg" in the chorus. I can't really tell, though it certainly sounds like it. In which case, I always think of The Karate Kid ("sweep the leg" was also recently referenced in an episode of "Chuck"). this album was after P.O.D. big breakout and not many people heard it though it is miles better than most everything else they did. i was one of two people who thought replacement guitarist Jason Truby was a better addition to the group than Marcos. This is a great heavy rock song.

No comments: