07 February 2009

Slacker's Six For Saturday


I didn't get around to my Five for Friday, so here's Six for Saturday.

In case you don't know, it works like this:
(Idea stolen from Ick Music)
I hit the shuffle button on my iTunes and share my five with a bit of insight for each track.
Then it’s your turn! Just share the first five random track of your shuffle in the comments and see what your fellow readers are listening to as well.


1.) Pearl Jam: "Whipping" (from Vitalogy)
Good start to the six. Compact 2 1/2 minute driver about who knows what (I can never tell with Eddie Vedder). Still love Pearl Jam after all these years.

2.) Caedmon's Call: "Laden With Guilt" (from In the Company of Angels: A Call to Worship)
Well, that wasn't a harsh transfer, was it? Several years ago, I listened to this album all the time. I should get back to it. Very rich lyrically.
This is the judge that ends the strife
Where wit and reason fail
My guide to everlasting life
Throughout this gloomy vale
O may Thy counsels, mighty God
My roving feet command
Nor I forsake the happy road
That leads to Thy right hand


3.) Anthrax: "Toast to the Extras" (from Volume 8: The Threat Is Real)
My drummer, Mike, sent this to me months back, because he wanted me to hear the drum beat. It's kinda a country-ish Anthrax song, if that makes any sense to you at all. I love the guitar lick that repeats throughout. It's a weird little song that I almost never skip over when it comes up on shuffle.

4.) Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris: "Lost On The River" (from Timeless: Hank Williams Tribute)
For whatever reason, this is credited as an Emmylou Harris song on the album listing. She is really just the harmony vocal on the chorus. Nice sad country song.

5.) Elvis Presley: "In The Garden" (from The Time-Life Elvis Presley Collection: Gospel)
It's a weird day on the shuffle. All over the place musically. I love to hear Elvis sing gospel songs. i don't really know where he stood with Jesus, but I know Elvis put more feeling into his gospel songs than any other. I hate the over-blown production on most of these songs but Elvis manages to cut through it most of the time.

6.) Eric Clapton: "Hey Hey" (from Unplugged)
I still listen to this album from time to time. Not a big fan of this song though the main guitar lick is pretty infectious.

No comments: