14 February 2009

Sabbath (And Not of the "Black" Variety)

One of the Ten Commandments is to "remember the sabbath day and keep it holy."

There's been plenty of debate about what day the sabbath actually is and what it means to "keep it holy." Whatever the true meaning, there is something to be said for taking a sabbath every now and then just as a means of recharging, so to speak.

Last year, I ate three PTO days at work and the year before, I ate two. I decided that was kinda stupid since I am on salary. So the other day, I was feeling kind of burned out and i thought, 'if the Managing Editor is OK with it, I'm not going to work anymore this week.' I didn't have anything to do, no where to go. The bathroom does need to be painted but I wasn't going to do it. I've been meaning to work on some more songs but I wasn't going to do that either. For two glorious days, I did not much of anything. I went and got two new tires for the car but didn't have to be in a hurry or try to cram it into a schedule. I took Isabella to school and picked her up both days, which was nice (especially when she waved at me in front of her friends - won't have THAT very long, I know). I took Shannon out to eat for Valentine's Day and today I took a 3-hour nap.

Sabbath rules!

;-)

No comments: