20 February 2009

Five For Friday (02.20.2009)


In case you don't know, it works like this:
(Idea stolen from Ick Music)
I hit the shuffle button on my iTunes and share my five with a bit of insight for each track.
Then it’s your turn! Just share the first five random track of your shuffle in the comments and see what your fellow readers are listening to as well.


In honor of my sickness earlier this week, I did an iTunes search by "sick" this week.

1.) Hank Williams III: "Atlantic City" (from Lovesick Broke & Driftin')
A cover of Bruce Springsteen's song from his dark acoustic album "Nebraska" (which is quite good if you like dark acoustic songs). Hank III switches it up quite a bit and gives it a very different feel for the first half of the song then slows it down and gets more minor key (and better). Hank III can be annoying in that sometimes he's brilliant and sometimes he can be just stupid. I wish he'd lay off the drugs a bit and explore the talent he has.

2.) Ryan Adams: "Lovesick Blues" (from Timeless: Hank Williams Tribute)
Another cover. This time of the original Hank Williams. I dig this quite a bit. Very loose and laid back with a nice mournful fiddle pretty far in the background. "I'm nobody's sugar daddy now." That's the blues alright.

3.) P.O.D.: "On The Grind (Featuring Boo-Yaa Tribe, Sick Jacken & Amy Terrin)" (from Testify)
A horrible song, IMO. Just awful. I actually thought this album was pretty good though not many people ever heard it.

4.) Bob Dylan: "Love Sick" (from Time Out Of Mind)
Dylan has a voice that's easy to mock but he can nail a feeling on a song better than just about anyone. I really believe him when he sings "I'm sick of love."

5.) Marty Stuart: "Homesick" (from Live At The Ryman)
There's no living country musician I love more than Marty Stuart. This is an excellent, mournful song from an live album featuring Stuart and his band playing "our version of bluegrass." I really respect Stuart, who makes the music he WANTS to make and loves to make and who has such respect for the legacy of country music. You should buy this album now.

No comments: