29 September 2006

Celebrity

So Extreme Home Makeover is in a town our paper covers (St. Meinrad, Ind. to be exact) doing a home for a cancer survivor who also heads up some Relay For Life stuff. Needless to say, things have been interesting in the area. The most ridiculous thing though is probably all the women taking pictures of Ty Pennington's behind.

This got me thinking about the power of celebrity. What is it about a person who's on TV or movies or music that makes us lose all control over our normal senses. I will admit that I get enamored by celebrity at times. I mean, I doubt I would have much interest in Africa if Bono hadn't been so passionate about it. Is that sad? Yeah, probably, but it's true.

I remember meeting Marty Stuart (the country singer) when I was in high school. At the time there was no one bigger in my world (believe it or not) and when I got to meet him, I didn't really have too much to say other than 'hey man, great show.' What are you gonna say to someone in 30 seconds that is meaningful. Nothing.

This isn't really going anywhere, it just seems weird around here with all the people obsessing over a "reality" TV show being in town. Oh well, these fine people are getting a new house out of it, so that's a plus.

No comments: