31 January 2006

On 'Brokeback' & 'Walk'

So I see 'Brokeback Mountain' (aka the gay cowboy movie) is up for a whole mess of Oscars this year and 'Walk The Line,' the biopic on the one and only Johnny Cash got mostly shut out save for acting nods for the two main roles. While, initially, I gave a crap about this, the more I think about it, the more I don't care anymore.

The thing I hate about both of these movies is the same: Men leaving their wives for other people. Look, I LOVE Johnny Cash. His face should be on Mt. Rushmore as far as I'm concerned but the fact is, he left his first wife and married June Carter. They may have been meant to be and all that jazz but all the same, he made a commitment to his wife and he should have stuck with it. The same applies for the two gay cowboys in 'Brokeback.' Gay, straight, whatever. (I haven't seen the movie BTW).

I know marriage is hard. I don't want to pretend like it's the easiest thing in the world and that there aren't sometimes real problems. I just hate to see it portrayed as a 'they found real love' kind of deal on screen.

OK, rant over.

No comments: