20 November 2005

"All Creatures"

The praise band that I lead at our church has added the David Crowder Band's version of "All Creatures of Our God and King" to its songlist recently.

Leading this band is the first time I've ever really been a leader at anything church-wise (or anything else for that matter). It has been a whale of an experience and has taught me much about people, God and music.

Those that know me well know that I am somewhat obsessive about music and its nuances. This new (old) song is an outstanding prayer in song of praise to God in the depth of its lyrics and, musically, it's stirring IMO. However, being as obsessive as I am about what we do as a band in leading the people in worship, I try to make things as smooth as possible so that I don't get in the way. I worried about this particular version of the song because there are many repeating "hallelujah" at the end tag of this song. I don't like repeating words ad naseum just to bring the congregation into "submission" as I've seen other worship leaders do. We took a few "hallelujah" out but there are still many more than we would usually do.

When we played it today, I found that, whether the congregation was getting anything from it or not (and I think they were), I found myself moved closer to God than at any time I can remember while singing just by repeating the "hallelujah" and realizing that I can offer God nothing BUT praise. Simple praise. My sin makes me the enemy of God. His grace allows me to even utter a simple praise such as this.

I don't know if any of this makes any sense to anyone. I get the feeling that I'm rambling.


No comments: