19 September 2005

The 7even-Year Non-Itch



My lovely wife, Shannon, married me seven years ago this very day. Some of you were there, others were not. On this occasion, I'm going to take a moment and reflect on a few things:

- Marriage takes work. It's a cliche, I know but it's a cliche based on total truth. 'Tis not an easy task.

- While I think divorce is wrong (most of the time), I am less judgmental toward those who really try at their marriages and still end up in divorce.

- Don't misread those first two items as a sign that we are in trouble or anything. These are just my thoughts.

- I still remember the sight of Shannon walking down that aisle toward me in her wedding dress. I don't think I will ever forget that sight.

- I also remember copeland, Shannon and I spontaneously and simultaneously doing the 'Wayne's World" head-bang when Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" came on the radio on the trip to Gatlinburg for the wedding.

- My wife and my two girls are more important to me than anything except God.

- Shannon's patience level has done nothing but grow since she's been married to me.

- She has taught me things that I was so sure of the opposite before we were married and I have taught her things as well.

- I am a far better person because of her. She has opened my eyes.

- I'm still too selfish.

- I love it when it feels like us against the world (so to speak).

- I still feel lucky that she said she would go out with me.

- Many of you know that there weren't really any other girls in my life before her. I know some think that was a mistake, that I didn't "sow my oats" properly or play the field enough and that would only lead to our marriage's demise. I still know I'm right. Life ain't the movies.

- TV, music and movies are totally full of crap about what love is.

- Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

- My parents used to always say that they didn't see how a marriage could last without God in it. I believe them now.

- While we often have little in the way of common interests, my wife is my best friend ...…

- ... with benefits. ;-)

No comments: