06 November 2004

War, What Is Good For? Well ... ?

Something that's been rattling around in the ole' noggin the past few weeks has been the concept of a "just war." And more specifically, was Jesus a pacifist?

I voted for Bush because I believe he will do a better job of making hard decisions regarding the safety of the nation. If there is any doubt about that read this 8-part Newsweek series. It is utterly fascinating and illuminating and, suprisingly, extremely fair.

However, I will admit that when the Iraq war was first being discussed, I had my doubts. Those doubts have continued to nag at me although I support our actions. (It's OK to have doubts and still believe in something in my book - don't flame me) :-)

But my overall questions have to do with whether or not a Christian should support pre-emptive war (or war at all). I'm trying not to get my Christianity and patriotism mixed up here but I sometimes find it all too easy to seperate the two into separate factions in my life. I'm a believer that my faith should permeate every aspect of my life and not be "just a part" of my life.

I've heard arguments on both sides about Jesus' attitudes on war and, frankly, I think my views on war aren't shaped by what Jesus taught but are shaped by my patriotism and political philosophies.

So, to you, dear reader, I ask your opinion. What do you think Jesus thought of war? And explain your answer please.

Please don't misinterpret me here. I'm merely asking questions, not losing faith in anything.

No comments: