03 November 2004

Daniel's Election Adventure

Wow! That was some night wasn't it? We have our own little Florida here in Dubois County, Indiana it seems. As a member of the godless, liberal, pinko commie media, i was assigned to gather the vote totals and fill in numbers for our chart and for the Associated Press.
I arrived at the county clerk's office at 5:50 (10 minutes before the polls closed). In the primary, the absentee results were available right at 6 p.m. This year, not so much. I waited, and waited and then to break that monotony, I ate some cookies and ... waited.
Apparently, there was some problem with the machine that scans the absentee ballots (a fill-in-the-circle-type ballot). the clerk's office decided they would release no official results until the absentees were counted. So, there I sat. (I must mention that I kept thinking, 'I could've been at band practice tonight instead of doing this garbage').
At about 9:45, after 4 hours of waiting, I was informed that it might be hours more before ANY results were released. I came back to the paper and informed our city editor of what was happening. Of course, that was the lead local story of the day here. I then called AP and told them what was happening and informed them that no results would be available until the morning (today). the encouraged me to "stick with it through the night." I politely informed them that I would call them tomorrow (today) and left it at that. So, I went home.
I watched a bit of the coverage after I got home but decided I better get in bed as I needed to get up (at 4:30 a.m.) to see what was up with the numbers this morning.
I proceeded to drift off into never-never land and was sleeping quite well until I was awakened by the phone ringing. It was the AP.
I told them the same thing I had told them hours before. They proceeded to get exasperated that I was "calling it a night already" (their words). After I got a little short with them and let them know that there was nothing I could do, I hung up and looked at the clock. It was a quarter to one in the a.m. (I cursed the AP at this point — albeit under my breath). Idiots!
So, as I type this, it is 2:30 p.m. and the results still are not in. I am still planning to call AP, but only so I can collect my $75 they owe me for being their poll watcher. Stupid AP! I can't believe they called me AT HOME AT A QUARTER TO ONE!

Oh yes, the mood here at the paper: Pissy (for lack of a better term). I'm being a gracious "winner" (I didn't really win anything, just the guy I was rooting for) though and keeping my mouth shut.

No comments: