10 October 2004

Would You Trade It All?


Kate Winslet and Jim Carrey in the excellent "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind."

Our good friend Angie lent us her rental of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind today. I had wanted to see it but, of course, it never made it to our theaters in Jasper. I overlooked the fullscreen format and that it was on VHS [just kidding Angie ;-)]. This is the best movie I have seen in a long, long time. It's a weird Punch-Drunk Love sort of movie. Many, including my wife, don't like these types of movies but I think this one was outstanding.

In short, Jim Carrey's character, Joel, and his girlfriend, Clementine, have a bad ending to their relationship and both have their memories erased. It turns out that maybe love is stronger than just mind memories. Perhaps the heart holds memories that are just too strong to be erased.

My favorite movie reviewer Jared says (WARNING, he has spoilers in his review):
Kinda reminds me of something someone wrote about love being patient and kind and bearing all things and not keeping a record of wrongs or something like that.
As nice a picture of grace as the secular media has been able to conjure up in a long, long time.


I'm not a good movie reviewer so I won't attempt to do so but the film did make me wonder if anyone has ever felt something was so bad that it was worth erasing that person/thing from their memories forever.(?) I have probably learned from most things I've gone through so I couldn't really say I would. Well, maybe I would erase most of my freshman basketball experiences and many of the people I met in high school. ;-) What about you?

No comments: