03 September 2004

Random Political Things

I watched the GOP convention last night. I thought Bush's speech was probably one of the top 2-3 speeches he's ever given. Of course, I'm still going to disagree with his out-of-control spending. (A health center in every county in the U.S.?!?!) The Republican party is shifting on this issue and I don't particularly like the way things are headed. However, on issues like defense, I still believe the GOP has the Democrats beat hands down. My favoite line from the speech:
"This moment in the life of our country will be remembered. Generations will know if we kept our faith and kept our word. Generations will know if we seized this moment, and used it to build a future of safety and peace. The freedom of many, and the future security of our Nation, now depend on us. And tonight, my fellow Americans, I ask you to stand with me."

Senator Zell Miller's (D-GA.) speech on Wednesday night reminded me of my grandfather in his heyday of yelling at "Crossfire" on CNN (back in the 80s). I also loved that spitting-mad Georgia accent. I don't get to hear good southern accents enough up here in Hoosier-land.

Third Day performed at the convention Wednesday. They seem to be taking baby steps toward being a "mainstream" band. Of course, I don't think the label "Christian" should be applied to any band. Just my opinion though. What do you all think about a band of Christians playing a political convention? How about musicians in general stating their political views?

Former President Clinton is apparently in the hospital for bypass surgery. Even if you don't like him, pray for him. This is no fun for anyone to go through.

Not a political thought, just a note that I will be on vacation next week. Beginning Sunday, we will be in Dacula, GA (suburb of Atlanta) visiting Shannon's parents. Don't know if we are headed to a Braves game or not. The Phillies are in town and Tuesday is two-for-one on upper deck seats. Maybe we'll get wild and crazy and spend some money. Or maybe not.
I will try to blog from Georgia so don't go anywhere.

No comments: