25 August 2004

Why Is "The Media" liberal?

Simply put, it's because the people that make up "The Media" are mostly left-leaning. It's one of those professions that attracts people who want to "change the world."
I got into it (I'm a newspaper page designer BTW) because I wanted to like my job. I like the excitement and the changing nature of the job on a day-to-day basis. As a bonus, I feel like, in some very small way, I am shaping the thoughts of the public. I'll go ahead and admit to that.
However, I do not believe there is some vast left-wing media conspiracy to elect only Democrats. I just believe that people can't help express what they think in their work. It's natural. No one is completely unbiased.

That being said, the following column might be of some interest to you media-watchers out there.

Some of Kerry's biggest fans are in the press


A sample:
Just how lopsided is the pro-Kerry bias? When New York Times reporter John Tierney surveyed reporters covering the Democratic National Convention last month, the results were striking.
"We got anonymous answers from 153 journalists, about a third of them based in Washington," he wrote on Aug. 1. "When asked who would be a better president, the journalists from outside the Beltway picked Mr. Kerry 3 to 1, and the ones from Washington favored him 12 to 1. Those results jibe with previous surveys over the past two decades showing that journalists tend to be Democrats, especially the ones based in Washington."


No comments: