02 August 2004

Musical Moment of the Day: The Epic


.

As usual, this post was inspired by my iPod selections during my walk to work.

I was having problems picking out something to listen to today. I have 10 or so playlists with various songs on them but it's time to shake them up a bit because I'm pretty bored with them for the most part.
I started scrolling through my artist list and came across Guns N' Roses. I thought, 'what the heck, I'll relive my early high school years again.'
I looked down at the list of GN'R songs and realized that I had placed "Don't Cry," "November Rain," and "Estranged" back-to-back-to-back.
you may remember the videos for these songs were part of a trilogy, so to speak.
Then I got to thinking about today's lackluster musical scene and the real lack of epic songs on the market.
Even the mash-up supergroup Velvet Revolver (members of GN'R with Scott Weiland from Stone Temple Pilots singing) don't attempt to pull it off. They, like so many other bands, are content to thrash about and "kick out the jams" but don't seem to be adventuresome in their songwriting.
Queen is a good example of epic songwriting. "Bohemian Rhapsody" has about a billion parts to it and songs like "Who Wants To Live Forever" go beyond the power ballad format to strive for epic-ness in sound and lyrics.
The GN'R trilogy of epics reached the apex with "Estranged," a 9 minute, 24 second masterpiece full of Slash's melodic, crying guitar solos, Axl's full range of vocal, um, "stylings" and the obligatory inclusion of a grand piano.
Something so big is hard to recreate. Maybe that's why cover bands cover GN'R songs like "Welcome to the Jungle" and not "November Rain."

What is your favorite "epic" song(s)?

No comments: