30 August 2004

Musical Moment: My Stop Is Ahead




I didn't watch the MTV Video Music Awards (funny that there is an awards show for videos on a station that no longer plays actual videos) last night and I have to say I don't really care. Now, for many of you, this is no big deal but, for me, this is kind of a turning point in my passion for music. Don't get me wrong, MTV hasn't exactly catered to my tastes for years, but I always tried to at least keep up. I'm now 27, married with a child and my passion for music still remains as strong as it ever did, it's just that now I don't feel the need to keep up anymore.
I peruse the Top 20 at the Billboard charts and I am now finding that I don't recognize but about 2-3 songs. Part of this is because I am the proud owner of an iPod and have many musical options at my fingertips and the fact that, after leaving Nashville in 2000, my radio options are severely limited to hearing Free Bird or Gimmie Three Steps. (OK, I can hear Stairway to Heaven too).

Switchfoot may be the only "current" band out there that I have gotten into lately and that's primarily because of the lyrical content. (I won't count any of those mash-up bands like Audioslave, Velvet Revolver or Alter Bridge because they are made up of bands I used to listen to anyway).

Anyway, I always said I wouldn't be one of those guys who only thinks music from his era is the only thing worth listening to. Hopefully, I won't ever totally be that way but I'm feeling the train coming closer to the point where I'm just going to have to get off.

No comments: