11 August 2004

Guilty Pleasures


.

This article over at MSNBC.com gave me a good idea for a post. It's written by some woman (too lazy to go back and look up her name) and it reflects her tastes but it made me think, everybody has guilty pleasures. Whether they be bad TV, movies or music or a taste for some really stinky food, everybody has something they secretly love that is often hard to admit.

Well, here's your chance to clear the air. What are your guilty pleasures? I know you have more than one. It can be anything. Entertainment, your favorite article of clothing that you won't wear out. Whatever. You get the picture.

Here are some of mine:

Music - Hanson. These guys can write an insanely catchy song that won't leave my head for whatever reason. I own three Hanson albums including the one with MMMBop on it. Honorable Mention: 80s hair metal bands. Poison, Warrant, Cinderella.

Movies - I like stoner movies. Dazed and Confused, Friday and the Cheech and Chong movies are hilarious to me. Of course, the wacky tabbaccy isn't something I partake of, I just like watching stoner comedies. Honorable Mention: The American Pie movies. I'm wrong, I know.

Books - Books by comedians. I'm not often deep in my reading. Sometimes I am but a lot of the time I like reading books by "literary giants" like Jeff Foxworthy, Dennis Miller and Lewis Grizzard. I always feel like I'm reading the equivalent of junk food when I read those. I always feel like I should really be reading more C.S. Lewis or something. Which I should, I know. Honorable Mention: Celebrity biographies. Dare I mention that I've read Travis Tritt's autobiography? :-(

TV - Smallville. It's a teen show on a teen network (The WB) but I absolutely love it and am hooked on it. This story of Superman as a teenager is kind of heavy on the teen angst angle but I'm still gonna watch it. Honorable Mention: The WB's The Surreal Life. Washed-up D-List celebrities live in the same house for a few weeks. It's a bad car wreck I can't look away from sometimes.

Food - Totino's Pizza. Hey it's a whole pizza just for me and it only costs 94 cents at Wal-Mart. Honorable Mention: Wal-Mart's Great Value chicken pot pies.

Clothing - The rock n' roll concert t-shirt. I have about 25 of them. Most of them black. Nearly all with tour dates on the back. Rage Against the Machine: Tour 1997. Got one - it's maroon though. Bon Jovi: Tour 95. Got a white one there. Hootie and the Blowfish "Fairweather Johnson" Tour 1996. Got one of those too. Aerosmith in 97, BB King in 96, Collective Soul in 97, Metallica in 97, dc talk in 95 AND 99. Got those too. Honorable Mention: My Titans and Predators jerseys. I don't play for 'em but I'll sport the jerseys in town sometimes. I feel like I'm a little too old to still wear a sports jersey.

Web sites - MTVnews.com. I'm not 15 anymore but I still go there to check out music news. Honorable Mention: MSNBC.com's "The Scoop." Celebrity gossip. The online equivalent of Entertainment Tonight.

There, I feel like I've been to confession. My conscience is clean. What about yours?

No comments: